Ahhhhh the never-ending search for the Perfect pair of sunnies... it’s a mission every bit as personal as your Headset. In this discussion, I’ll be dealing only with glasses suited by their design & build philosophy to being called “aviator” sunglasses. I definitely won’t be discussing what might euphemistically be known more as “fashion” sunglasses, beyond...
Some factors to consider, should you be more tempted by the fashionable end of the market:
- Are the lenses optically correct? No, I don’t mean corrected to fix an issue with your vision. I mean are the lenses manufactured to a standard that will not introduce an unwanted distortion to normal, uncorrected vision due a lack of manufacturing quality control?
- Is the tint density appropriate for the operating environment? Many fashion sunglasses have a tint best described as vague.
- Are the lenses polarised? Will the polarised lens adversely effect seeing EFIS screens?
- UV protection -is there any? Or enough?
- Temples: what effect will the thickness of the temple have on your peripheral vision? How will a thick temple affect your headset ear-seals?
- Price: you’ll frequently pay a premium price for a fashionable pair of sunnies -that likely at several levels, won’t do the job. Better just to invest in something appropriate and likely longer-lasting, I reckon.
For my money, that’s where their utility ends. They’re a fashion statement rather than a pilot tool.